Paula Timm Artist

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Chronicles of the Journey- Day 1:the drive, the meeting.

The day started off early, as my husband and I prepared ourselves for my departure. I languished in the ending of one lifetime and felt it morph into a new chapter of a familiar book. I would normally get anxious, with schedules, unknowns and uncertainties, but I felt a welcomed calm in awaiting my departure when 'it' was ready for me to leave.

This is, a big, adventure for me,  I have the opportunity to live quietly in a quaint town, in a quaint home, to hone my creative lighting rod.  I am embarking on new territory, new ways to express my art, be it through words, photographs, paint or all of the above!

Southern Saskatchewan- calls to artists; providing a simpler way of life and inspiring vistas of both the Cypress and White Mud Clay Hills. The landscapes of this country are amazing; I leap into every pasture beaten blade of grass, every wave of the earth as it forms coulees, valleys and plains that create shadows and forms to fascinate. Not a hair or wisp of a tree, unless you are in the hills of Cypress...but I don't miss them, they would only obscure my vista of these fine rolling hills.

I planned a stop over in Maple Creek, all the better to savor these moments of great change and embrace the stops along the way. This town is in the midst of change; the streets are mud splattered  from winter's thaw, and like a crocus, curio shops and funky cafe and restaurants are standing up to be noticed.
A painting of the hotel which I stayed in while in Maple Creek

There is an effort to bring back this town to it's original luster. The hotel I stayed in last night combines history with modern comforts; likely once the blight seems the ever the gem. 
An organ in Commercial Hotel
When I first visited Maple Creek, I saw a mural, it was the first mural I have ever appreciated. Normally their colours are uninspiring and the art leaves me wanting more, this one was interesting and colourful.

A mural I like! by Geoff Phillips
This artist's work soon found me again, in several business about town. I met business owner and artist, Tina, she told me that the artist I was captivated with was Geoff Phillips. He lives in Maple Creek and coincidentally Tina and Geoff had also lived in Calgary. I sent him a note, we corresponded over the past few months. Last night, I met Geoff and Connie (his lovely wife), and their two young children Grace and Emmy. They both have studio space in their lovely home. Every wall has art hung on it and not just their own creations, an interesting and purposeful collection.

Geoff toured me through his studio space where I got a chance to see and hear about his process. He finds it best to capture the landscapes en plein air; he brings an unstretched canvas to his vista, inspired he captures a loose composition with brown paint, photographs the area, and finishes in the studio.

I didn't ask how long it takes to finish a piece, I was distracted by the amount of work that he has on the go. What I love about Geoff's work, details, texture, abstraction, and colour. He loves the scenery and the craft equally and has found a beautiful way to share that with the viewer.

I think this is The Frenchman Valley, in progress

Fort Walsh, Saskatchewan - work in progress


Connie is also a painter, painting abstracts, circles and architecture in folk art style. She is a creative force, coordinating busy lives, artist in the residence program at Cypress Provincial Park, chair positions for her kids schooling, and she finds time to create!  It feels magical to have met two artists, on my first night of this creative journey, who so closely match my creative toolbox of interests.
A storefront, work in progress
Connie's Creation Central!
It was during the tour of Connie's studio walls that we learned how many connections we have in common. I went to the same junior high school as Connie, lived blocks apart; I even went to a school that she would love to send her two girls to. The three of us have many artist friends/colleagues in common; they lived in Calgary just a few years ago. They are a few years ahead of me..if the space time continuum works as I think it does, I will be living in Maple Creek with a studio and some fur babies very soon.

Sometimes I doubt myself; the way I share so quickly, unedited/unfiltered, curse words and raw facts; and then I have authentic, star dazzling, soul tweaking great convos that could last all night. I don't regret those times, I don't hesitate or shy away; I engage wholeheartedly. It is these moments of bliss that remind me that I will be okay, that I can keep doing what I do, that I am enough the way I am. There are some that may shy away from me, but others like a Saskatchewan moth to a Porch light, that will convene and bask in the creative goodness of connecting.

2 comments: